Friday, March 20, 2020

Counseling in the age of physical distance


I feel like the Italians I watched on video last week-- they are in isolation talking to the "me from 10-days ago". And here we are 8 days since large events were cancelled and 5 days since the schools, libraries and rec centres closed. 

I'm not going to lose my job. In fact my job just got busier and more complex for not only the next several weeks as we are isolating, but for the next several years. It's hard for most people to see how far into the future the long-term social implications will reach. So many families rely on separation into different daytime activities; the use of recreation centres, lessons, the public library for managing the fabric of their family life. And my feminist allies know, the brunt of the mental and emotional work will fall to the women. 

And that's where telehealth on-line counseling comes in. You don't need to struggle and suffer alone. We all require someone to help us make sense of our experience and when our go-to friends are also struggling, it can be hard to feel there is space for our issues.

Consider reaching out to arrange a video counseling session. It can help you vent, have your emotional states and thoughts untangled and reflected back for you to decide their meaning and help you to re-group and start again. There are rougher seas ahead (as much as I don't want to admit that) and you don't need to sail alone.




No comments:

Post a Comment